When choosing a wood material for an interior or external project, Wisa Plywood is a popular choice, due to its well-known low maintenance characteristics. However, like everything else in life, it still requires nurturing and care. The following steps will enhance its lifespan:
- It is essential to remember that proper handling during transportation and installation is the first step to ensuring Wisa plywood is well on its way to a long life in your project. Ensure that the plywood is handled with care so that the edges and surfaces are not damaged. Edges and corners are vulnerable to damage. Consider using edge protectors during transportation and installation. To prevent bending or warping, lift the sheets using proper techniques and equipment. Kreg have a super nifty jig for lifting sheets on your own.
- When storing Wisa Plywood, make sure it is in a dry, cool and ventilated area. Keep it away from direct sunlight and extreme temperature fluctuations. To protect the sheets from moisture, elevate them off the ground and cover them with waterproof tarps.
- Minimise Wisa Plywood’s contact with excessive moisture. Although WISA plywood is designed to be moisture-resistant, extended exposure to moisture can affect its durability. Protect it from rain, water spills, and excessive humidity. Seal the edges with waterproof paint or sealant to prevent moisture penetration.
- Ensure that the plywood is not subjected to excessive loads or pressure that could lead to bending, warping, or cracking.
- Use appropriate fasteners (screws, nails, adhesives) and follow manufacturer recommendations for installation. Leave proper expansion gaps around the edges to accommodate for potential dimensional changes due to humidity.
- Periodically, inspect the plywood for small cracks, delamination, or loose fasteners. Replace damaged sheets promptly to prevent further deterioration.
- Apply appropriate finishes (paint, varnish, sealants) unless the wood has been treated by the manufacture, to protect the plywood’s surfaces.
- Keep plywood away from chemicals, solvents, and corrosive substances that could damage the surface or weaken the material.
- Clean the plywood surface regularly to remove dirt, debris, and potentially harmful substances. Use mild soap and water for cleaning and avoid abrasive cleaning tools that could scratch the surface.
So, the next time you consider a plywood project, just know that Universal Plywoods is on your doorstep with warehouses in Johannesburg, Bloemfontein, Cape Town, Durban and Ballito. With our expertise and knowledge about plywood, we can advise you on installation and any other minor problems you might experience. Contact us and receive professional advice on the right Wisa Plywood for your project.